Tax Help for Students

Need help with your tax return?

Tax Help is a network of ATO-trained and accredited community volunteers who provide a free and confidential service to help people complete their tax returns online using myTax. In 2017 we will offer this service for postgraduate students on Friday mornings from 4th August to 27th October 2017 at the SUPRA offices. Please note you will need to check if you are eligible for Tax Help, book an appointment with us and bring all relevant tax documents with you.

Am I eligible for Tax Help?

You are eligible for Tax Help in 2016–17 if your income is around $60,000 or less for the income year and you did not:

  • work as a contractor, for example a contract cleaner or taxi driver
  • run a business, including as a sole trader
  • have partnership or trust matters
  • sell shares or an investment property
  • own a rental property
  • have capital gains tax (CGT)
  • receive royalties
  • receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund
  • receive foreign income, other than a foreign pension or annuity.

What to bring to your appointment:

You will need to have a myGov account linked to the ATO. If necessary, our volunteers can help you link your myGov account to the ATO. Bring with you to your appointment:

  • Your myGov user ID and password
  • Tax file number
  • An original notice of tax assessment from previous years
  • Medicare card
  • Health insurance statement
  • Details of last years education tax refund claim (if any)
  • Your bank details – BSB and account number
  • All bank statements showing interest earned
  • All PAYG payment summaries from employers
  • Statements from Centrelink or Dept. veterans affairs
  • Payment summaries from superannuation funds
  • Dividend, superannuation and managed fund statements
  • Any foreign income details
  • Any employment termination payment summaries
  • Receipts for gifts, donations & work-related expenses
  • Any child support payments
  • If you had a spouse (married or de-facto) at any time during the financial year, you also need to bring details of their taxable income or a reasonable estimate

Book your appointment

In 2017 Tax Help will run every Friday morning from 4th August to 27th October. Email us with the dates you are available on and we will make an appointment for you. Please also include your full name and phone number. Note that you will also need to be a SUPRA member to use the Tax Help service. You may also call our office on (02) 9351 3715 to book an appointment.

Other sources of help