Research postgrads – is your supervisor one of a kind? Understanding, knowledgeable, interested and available? This year SUPRA is acknowledging our top-quality supervisors for a 2nd year in a row with the Supervisor of the Year Awards! Nominations are welcome for Masters and PhD Supervisors.
Nominations close: 1 October 2017
The SUPRA Supervisor of the Year Awards aim to promote, recognise and reward excellence in higher degree research supervision at the University of Sydney as nominated and judged by research postgraduates at the University. The SUPRA Supervisor of the Year Awards are a uniquely student driven award. This year we are honouring supervisors of both Masters research students, and PhD and other doctoral candidates. All nominees will be published in a special newsletter to students and staff at the University of Sydney, with the eventual winners presented with their awards at a SUPRA ceremony later in the year.
- Your research supervisor or co-supervisor supervised you for at least a whole year of your candidature, & you are currently enrolled or was awarded no earlier than in 2016.
- Nomination for individual supervisor only.
- Nomination must be seconded by another doctoral student in their second year or higher, and who had the same supervisor.
- A student may nominate and complete nomination for only one supervisor, but may second a nomination by another student for the same person or a co-supervisor.
- Previous nominations including winning nominations are eligible for this year’s awards.
Nominees will be assessed on the basis of the information provided on the nomination form and against the following criteria:
- Positive and constructive relationship with students.
- Assistance with research and support for research career of students.
- Knowledge of the field of research
There will be a separate Masters Panel and a PhD Panel, each comprising at least two Masters research students and two PhD students at the University of Sydney and under the coordination of the SUPRA Council. No member from a previous judging panel will be involved in a judging capacity in the 2017 awards, and no member can be involved in assessing a nomination from their faculty. If interested in being on the judging panel for either PhD or Masters, please email Francine Seeto at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are 7 sections in total and sections 5, 6 and 7 are about your supervisory experience. You may review your nomination and make changes any time after submission, up until the closing date.
Hint from the judging panel: All nominations write glowingly about their supervisor. Make your nomination stand out by including personal stories or examples that illustrate how your supervisor went beyond their normal duties in supporting your candidature.
- Submit nomination online.
- All nominations will be acknowledged by email receipt.
- Closing date for nominations October 1.
*SUPRA acknowledges the UNSW ARC PGC Supervisor Awards and nomination form and criteria which form the basis of the SUPRA Supervisor of the Year Awards.